What do you call a coconut that doesn’t have milk? A milk dud.
Well, just so you don’t get your hopes up, we don’t plan to make any milk duds in this five part series on cooking with cannabis. Though, we are planning on getting together your pantry of infused oils and butters to put to use anyway you see fit – yes, even topical application like lotions.
See part one: basics of cannabis extraction or move on to part three: infused cannabis CBD or THC weed butter and part four: infused cannabis CBD or THC honey.
The Endless Possibilities of CBD Coconut Oil
Cannabis THC or CBD coconut oil is a really versatile way to consume cannabis. It’s great taken alone or baked into all kinds of edibles – most strains of cannabis beautifully complement the flavor of coconut oil! Infused cannabis oils make it easy to medicate and you can use indica, sativa, or even high CBD strains to get the desired effect you want – or any cannabinoid really.
When using buds, it’s okay to use less than you would if you were using trim as there will be more trichromes present and therefore more THC. If I was using buds instead of trim in this batch, I probably would have used 0.5 grams of bud per tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Infused cannabis meatballs
- Blend with coffee
- Add to smoothie
- Muscle and body rub
- Stress and anxiety relief
Guidelines for dosing:
We recommend using anywhere from 0.5-1.5 g of trim/bud/hash/etc per tablespoon of oil. If this is your first time experimenting with canna oil, try using 16 grams of cannabis to 2 cups of oil.
Check out our CBD/THC dosage and potency calculator for general dosing help.
Tools we Use and Where to Get Them
- Strainer or cheesecloth
- Bowl or large measuring cup
- Jar or bowl to store the coconut oil
- Grinder (a simple hand grinder works best)
- Double-boiler, slow cooker, saucepan, etc.
Where to buy CBD Flower for Infused Cannabis Oil
- Cannaflower is one of our favorites. A small New England farm dedicated to growing and sourcing the highest quality CBD hemp flower available. Their packaging is beautiful! 10% off – Use BeTheHippy
- Joy Organics has become a leader in the CBD industry, setting the standards for manufacturing, testing, and quality.
- Dr. Ganja has been around for a while and care about the quality of their products. Take a look at their history and also the amount of tests they put their flower through. 7% – Use BeTheHippy
Next up – Part three, How to Make Infused Cannabis Butter
Part 2, How to Make Infused Cannabis CBD Coconut OilCourse: Cannabis OilCuisine: Infused Coconut Oil, Infused CBD Oil, Cbd, Cannabis, Henp, Oil, Coconut Oil, Cannabinoid, Extract CBD, Extract Cannabinoid, Infused CBD, Cooking with CannabisDifficulty: Easy
A simple recipe to extract any cannabinoid of your choice. This recipe uses Charlotte web cannabis plant and coconut oil you can find at your local stores.
Strainer or cheesecloth
Bowl or large measuring cup
Jar or bowl to store the coconut oil
Grinder (a simple hand grinder works best)
Double-boiler, slow cooker, saucepan, etc.
1 ounce of ground cannabis flower – about 15 grams
2 cup of coconut oil – about 1 pound
- Grind the cannabis to a medium/fine course. It’s ok to use entire plant, just the flower, a little bit of both — this is all a matter of preference. Anything small enough to fit through the strainer will end up in your product so be careful grinding.
- Combine oil and cannabis in your double-boiler or slow cooker, and heat the two together on low or warm for a few hours. Cooking can be done a variety of ways (see note below on times): in a slow cooker on low; in a double-boiler on low; or in a simple saucepan on low for at least three hours, stirring frequently (do not scorch). In all cases, a small amount of water can be added to the mixture to help avoid burning. Note: whatever method you choose, temperature of the oil should not exceed 245°F.
- Strain and store the oil. Do not squeeze too hard on the cheesecloth; this will simply add more chlorophyll to your oil. All remaining plant material can be used for composting or discarded. Keeping the oil in your pantry will last for at least 2 months, cans be extended in refrigerator. Keep out of the sunlight.
- Step 1. When grinding, anything that fits through the product will eventually end up the in product. Be extra careful not to grind too fine.
- Step 2. Slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally. Double-boiler on low for at least 6 hours (8 is better), stirring occasionally.
- Step 2. Be careful during the decarboxylation (step 2), overcooking will destroy the cannabinoid. The the most important pieces of the puzzle.
Disclaimer: this information is not medical advice and is purely for entertainment and education purposes. In no way do we condone the use of cannabis or it’s bi-products without the consent of your medical professional as well as abiding by your state and country laws.
This Post Has 30 Comments
your headline needs editing it says editables instead of edibles
Thanks! Must have had one too many editables.
Thanks, Justin! Just getting up and running. Lot more to come we hope.
Long time supporter, and thought I’d drop a comment.
Your wordpress site is very sleek – hope you don’t mind me asking what
theme you’re using? (and don’t mind if I steal it? :P)
I just launched my site –also built in wordpress like yours– but the theme slows (!) the site down quite a bit.
In case you have a minute, you can find it by searching for “royal cbd” on Google
(would appreciate any feedback) – it’s still in the works.
Keep up the good work– and hope you all take care of yourself during the coronavirus scare!
We are using OceanWP theme and have customized it a bit. Thanks for your share. I’ll definitely take a gander.
Like!! Thank you for publishing this awesome article.
Thanks for the info!
If I decarbed in a mason jar using an Instant Pot set on High Pressure, as you’ve covered in another article, couldn’t I also use the Instant Pot to infuse? Perhaps infusing on Low Pressure or no pressure at all – just setting the Instant Pot to simmer water with the pressure valve left open, for a bain-marie mason jar infusion.
Right on, Jim! I don’t see why you couldn’t. I actually don’t think I’ve given this a go myself. So, you’ve given me a new fun experiment to test out – Decarb and Infuse all in an Instant Pot.
If you give this us a go yourself, let us know the results!
As always, stay groovy!
For sure you can. After decarbing, don’t add oil and pressure on high for 20 minutes. It works very well.
*Yes do ADD the oil after decarb and cook on night for about 20 minutes. Your oil will be ready for straining.
Also, I use a metal circle with slits in the bottom of the instapot. Wrap the jar in a towel to instapot. Add water to cover about 60% of the jar.
Use a canner tool to remove jars from hot water or cool in the instapot . Store oil in an opaque glass jar or bottle. (Ball makes some great Amber glass jars to prevent uv deterioration)
Yes, very easy.
Pressure on high on a rack or towel for the oil or butter 40 min.
I enjoy reading an article that can make people think.
Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!
What a fun read – I’ll be sharing with my co-workers. This is appreciated!
Thank you! A++
I will be looking for more of your work.
I specifically like CBD Isolate Crystals because they do not contain any THC so I have peace of mind in the case that I have to take a drug test for Work because I am a heavy equipment operator.
Done the butter but trying the coconut oil.Rice crispy treats here we come!😁
Let us know how it goes! And feel free to tag us on instagram if you decide to post an image. would love to see it @be_thehippy
Stay groovy out there, Cheri.
I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye
Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also.
So can u use just a pot om the stove instead of the crock pot and how do u do the pan on the stove method if u can im really lost in how to do thls w out a crock pot
Hey there Elizabeth. You can also heat directly on the stove with a little water (check this recipe) — can be risky with scorching. Or, you can do a double boiler on your stove top (check this recipe) — it’s just like melting chocolate. Put a heavy glass bowl (filled with your oil. i.e. butter or coconut) above a medium saucepan (filled with water to boil).
Stay groovy out there!
If the batch size isn’t too small, a coffee press works well for straining.
In your recipe it isn’t clear How many grams of cannabis is in a cup, or did I miss it,🤔
Love all your tips, I come here whenever I need some reassurance to my methods. Decarbing in a mason jar is like the best thing in the world. I have been cooking in a pressure cooker for over 20 years, sure beats the oven. I hit my ground flower with a coffee grinder before putting it in the slow cooker with the olive oil. I do not strain the flower from my oil. Poppy seed recipes are my favorite, nobody knows they are eating grass. Your dosage calculator is right on! My average dose is 80 grams per serving and when I put my numbers into your calculator, right at 92, perfect. Thank You
PS My target temp in the slow cooker is initially 200- 220, for the first 3hrs, then I reduce the temp and may let it cook all night.